Thursday, September 15, 2011

So last week was an A plus this week.... ehhhh ....

So it is bound to happen when you are taking 6 classes.... TWO-A-DAY-EXAMS.... such a dreaded word (yes it should be added to Webster's as one word because after the amount of coffee, espresso, sugar, you intake preparing for them; lots of things begin to sound like one word!)  I find myself in the middle of such a high right (or verge of heart failure) as we speak because in less than 11 hours I will find myself taking one of two COMM exams.... you would think that the similar courses would make life easy... FALSE! Although they are so extremely related that I choose to touch on some of the specifics later on in this post, they are also very different. COMM 100 is more of the basics of our Mass Media and our society, however many times you can find pieces of COMM 180 material throughout the course, COMM 180 focuses much more in-depth on the technically aspects of media. While studying, I find myself blending the two together, and envisioning going in the first exam which of course happens to be for this class (hence the heavy sarcasm in my loving title) -- and only being able to focus on the broader topics from my later COMM 100 class. To someone who has no time for failure and is desperately trying to get what takes most 4 years to do  done in 2 and 1/2  this vision is worse than those bad dreams where you forget to put pants on before you leave the house!! I considered this to be my break from the chaos of finding the distinctions, most important keynotes, and separate terms from each class -- a break, some break huh! (See the afore mentioned chaos in the picture above).
In following with the nerd that I must already seem to be - taking a break from studying to do homework ( extra credit homework at that)- I may as well take this time to share even more homework. In my COMM 100 class we have the assignment of choosing an article from 3 selected websites and summarizing it in an online posting.  Our choices are Billboard Biz Industry News, Variety, and The News Room for Free Press. It is encouraged to find an article that one of the other 370 students did not post on, that said I went straight for the Newsroom for Free Press site and scanned through the first page of articles. And suddenly a rather long dull sounding title pops of the page :Study: Wireless Networks Hamstring Your Smart Phone - followed by a the subtitle Deep PACKET Inspection Crippling one Carrier's Speed by 50%. Light bulbs and bells started going off. I actually know what they are talking about in this article, where as a week ago I had no clue. Even more intriguing I found the article interesting. To try to some it up in a much more condensed version (or compressed if you will): Researches developed an application to study the effectiveness of different cell phone carriers network management. They found that one major carrier is buffering it's own packets, adding extra noise, which slows down delivery of data and drains your battery.  As vain or possible unintelligent as it may make me seem, depending on how you take it, I was beyond impressed with my self for lack of better words I thought I was the sh!t ! Not only did I fully understand what just a month ago would of seemed like techno babble, I was also able to arrive at my own, well informed, and fluent conclusion. I can't really break my professor-student privileges, so only he will get to read such a dynamic piece of work. Sorry. But you get the point, the thrill of education and it's applications has once again brought out the nerd in me. Maybe its time for a real break... Till next week.... Me

1 comment:

  1. I still say you need a giant desk! But its your choas so I suppose you could do what you want with it.

    ReplyDelete